Garage doors are used multiple times a day. Over time as it opens and closes, constant wear is normal to make them tear.
Having a garage door that is not working as it should or won’t work can be a frustrating experience. Like most people, you may be reading this because you want to know how to fix your garage doors quickly or find why it is not working.
Since they are the most used door in the home, they are by far the most common part of your home that needs to be fixed. Whether you are just curious about fixing a garage door or not having any troubleshooting experience, this article is helpful for both.
Follow these simple steps for garage door troubleshooting to check whether it was a simple problem or you need to call for a professional garage door repair Miami company.
You will need tome tools and materials:
- Standard Level
- Open-end wrenches
- Phillips-head screwdrivers
- Cleaning rags
- All-purpose cleaners
- This is what you need to try if your garage doors are not opening
Are your garage doors not opening or closing? Begin with these troubleshooting steps:
The first thing that you should try is to see if the problem is in the garage door itself or somewhere else. It could either be a simple fix by cleaning it or any parts that need to be fixed.
- Check your garage door opener. Make sure it’s plugged in, and the circuit bracket is in the correct place.
- Make sure your garage doors were not manually locked by mistake
- Check if your remote control needs new batteries
- Your garage doors do not open if it is out of order
If everything checks out fine, keep with these other troubleshoot tips. So before calling a professional, check these things and be sure what is wrong with your garage doors.
- Check the garage door external control
If your garage door openers are plugged in but the doors are not opening, it may be a problem with the keypad or remote control.
The Garage Door External Control can be located on the wall close to your garage door opener. It is a small, thin box with a power switch and two holes for screws for mounting it to the wall.
- Make sure that the pins are in their sockets and there are no exposed wires.
- Reset the remote control or keypad
- Check if your garage door opener motor antenna is not damaged
- Change your remote control batteries
- Test that all keypad buttons are working
- Check the safety chain or cable
If your garage door is not opening or closing, it is likely because of a safety chain or cable problem. The garage doors openers chain can eventually show problems o break.
- It is necessary to make sure that you have cut the correct chain length, and not too long and not too short.
- Your garage door won’t open if the safety chain is too long. If it’s too short, your garage doors will close but never open again if you don’t add more slack.
This kind of problem can be easily repaired or replaced by a professional. If you don’t know much about mecha, garage door parts are safer and cheaper to book services and improve your safety chain.
- Check the garage doors sensors
If the garage door won’t fully close or closes and opens again and again, there may be an issue with the safety sensors. This may happen when an object is at the bottom, like a car parked inside, or you don’t have enough extra room to close the garage door.
- Safety sensors have to be aligned and pointing at each other to function correctly. Use a level to check if they are aligned.
- Clean the sensors with a soft cloth
- Remove any object that is close to the garage doors sensors.
- Check garage door opener
If the garage door keeps malfunctioning, it may be that the openers need to be repaired or replaced. Just like in any other mechanical device, small parts wear out over time and usage.
Mechanical failure is common on openers. Let us look at some door opener troubleshooting:
- If the opener runs but the door is not opening, it may be a broken gear drive.
- Carriage components can also cause a garage door not to move. Check if there is not a problem with the trolley carriage.
- If your opener is not running, the circuit board may be the problem that needs to be fixed.
Your garage doors are still not working? You can also call a professional garage door company to help you repair your garage door openers. It is better to leave it to the experts.
- Check the springs and cables
If the garage door opens and closes but is not level, it may be a problem with the springs and cables. Cables and springs are the main components that lift the door.
- Check if your cables are loose or damaged. Use a screwdriver to tighten the bolts holding them.
- If your cable rollers do not rotate freely, clean, replace them, or lubricate them with a special garage door cable lubricant.
Broken springs are a common problem. The weight of the doors can make them break over time.
We hope these troubleshoot steps can help you solve your garage doors problems. As with any mechanic system, they tend to show some common problems over time. You also need to check them regularly to keep them working 24/7 and prevent emergencies.
None of these steps solved your garage door issues? Book an appointment with a garage door repair Miami company. Dimark is a Miami garage door company that offers various services from repair to replacement, so don’t doubt to call them!
It is best to call a garage door professional to assess the door and give you a quote. For most, a garage door fix can be cheaper than buying a new one.